SiroSilo Industrial can provide you with different types of FFS machines, such as vertical form fill seal machines and horizontal form fill seal machines.
FFS machines complete film unwinding to bag sealing in one stop, with a max. speed of up to 300 bags/min, which greatly improves packaging efficiency.
SiroSilo form fill seal machine is popular in food, hardware, electronics, medicine, cosmetics, fertilizer, agriculture and other industries. According to practical test, the following products are packable with FFS machine:
Drinks, jams, detergents, soy sauce, etc.
Flour, condiments, milk powder, pesticides, etc.
Seeds, sugar, grains, etc.
Peanuts, chewing gum, potato chips, pet food, etc.
If the item you want to pack is not listed above, please contact us, we can customize a suitable form-fill-seal machine for you.
FFS Machine Purchasing Guide
FFS Machine Meaning
FFS machine stands for form fill seal machine, which is a common packaging equipment, it completes the processes of bag forming, product filling, bag sealing in one stop.
In its operation process, product weighing is essential, specific dosing/metering equipment undertakes this task. Common dosing equipment includes multihead weighers, auger fillers, and metering pumps.
According to the bag forming directions, 2 types of FFS machines are available:
- Horizontal FSS Machine
- VFFS Packing Machine
FFS machines are good at packaging a variety of food, pharmaceuticals and other products suitable for flexible bag packaging, including:
- Grains (e.g. rice, beans)
- Granules (e.g. detergents, fertilizers, sugar)
- Hardware Fittings (e.g. nuts, bolts, screws)
- Liquids (e.g. water, milk, juice, wine)
- Powder (e.g. spice powder, milk powder, coffee powder)
- Snacks (e.g. chips, dried fruit, crackers, namkeen)
- Viscous Liquid (e.g. cooking oil, ghee, ketchup, mayonnaise, salad dressing, body wash)
Form Fill Seal Machines Diagram
With reference to the following schematic diagram of a vertical form fill seal machine, let’s introduce its main components one by one.
- Film Unwinding Shaft
The tension of the dancer roller drives the unwinding shaft to rotate for plastic film unwinding.
The brake device installed on the shaft receives the PLC signal to control the unwinding process.
- Tension Control Dancer Roller
It generates the tension for film unwinding.
- Photoelectric Sensor
Detect the color mark on the film, control the stroke of the film.
- Rotary Encoder
The rubber roller follows the rotation of the film, drives the encoder to rotate, rotary encoder detects the actual stroke of the film.
- Inkjet Printer
Coding equipment, receive PLC signal to print date and batch number on the film.
- Film Pulling Shaft
Follow the rotation of the main shaft and pull the film down at a constant speed.
- Vertical Sealing Bar
After the film has passed through the forming tube, the bag has taken shape, the two outer edges of the film overlap each other.
Then the vertical sealing bar seals the outer edges and presses down, completing the vertical heat sealing.
- Product Inlet
The product weighed by the dosing equipment enters the vertical form fill seal machine from this port.
- Horizontal Sealing Shaft
Drive the horizontal sealing jaws to stick to the plastic film for sealing cyclically.
- Horizontal Sealing Jaws
They seal the formed bag’s top opening and cut it off, at the same time, form the next bag’s bottom seam.
- Horizontal Sealing Jaws Driver
Drive the horizontal sealing jaws to move up and down to achieve continuous sealing.
How Does FFS Machine Work?
FSS machines include horizontal and vertical types, and their working principles are quite similar.
Vertical form fill seal machines are relatively more common, so let’s take a form fill seal machine as an example, explaining how it works in detail.
The vertical form fill seal machine converts a rollstock flexible packaging material into a bag, fills the product, and then seals the bag. One machine completes these three processes in succession automatically.
Combined with the upstream metering, dosing, filling equipment, vertical form fill seal machines are suitable for packaging blocky, flaky, granular, stalk, powder, liquid and viscous liquid materials.
The VFFS bagging machine’s product inlet is located inside the bag maker, the machine carries out bag making and product filling vertically from top to bottom.
It mainly consists of:
- Transmission System
- Film Pulling System
- Product Inlet
- Metering Device
- Horizontal and Vertical Sealing Device
The working principle of the vertical packaging machine is summarized as follows:
The roll film placed on the unwinding shaft passes through the guide roller and the tensioning device, the trademark on the film is detected by the photoelectric sensor, and then rolled into a film cylinder through the forming tube surface.
First, the vertical sealing bar seals the film cylinder’s longitudinal adjoining edges, thus obtaining a sealed bag with a top opening.
The metering device fills the measured products into the top-open bag through the product inlet, and then the horizontal sealing jaws seals the top opening and cuts it off to get a packaging bag, and at the same time, form the bottom seal of the next bag.
To sum up, the workflow of the vertical form-fill-seal machine mainly includes the following steps:
- Film Unwinding and Transmission
- Film Tensioning
- Date & Batch Number Printing
- Film Tracking
- Bag Forming
- Product Filling
- Bag Sealing
- Bag Dischaging
Types of FFS Machines
According to the direction of bag forming, FFS machines include the following two kinds:
- Vertical Form Fill Seal Machine
The bag forming tube is perpendicular to the ground, and the plastic film is pulled by the film pulling shaft from top to bottom through the forming tube, forming a shaped bag.
- Horizontal Form Fill Seal Machine
The rectangular bag forming tube is parallel to the ground, and the plastic film is pulled by the film pulling shaft from left to right through the forming tube, forming a shaped bag.
According to the different properties of the materials contained in the bags, the FFS machines mainly include the following three types:
- Granule Filling Machine
- Powder Filling and Sealing Machine
- Liquid Filling and Sealing Machine
According to the different shapes of forming bags, FFS machines mainly include the following categories:
- Pillow Pouch
- 3 Side Seal Pouches
- 4 Side Seal Pouches
- Gusset Pouch
- Flat Bottom Pouch
- Standup Pouch (with zipper/spout/euro slot/handle, etc.)
VFFS Packing Machine
There are two types of VFFS packing machines: continuous motion and intermittent motion.
The continuous motion VFFS packing machine can achieve continuous sealing without stopping, its packing efficiency is higher;
The intermittent motion VFFS packing machine requires a short pause every time it seals, its packing is less efficient, but it’s cheaper.
The working principles of these two VFFS packing machines are basically the same, it mainly includes three steps.
- Bag Forming
Unwind the flexible film roll, the film enters the forming tube after being driven by the guide roller and the dancer roller. The film forms a round bag on the forming tube, and seals the two vertical seams, and the upper part is open.
- Product Filling
The product is dropped from the metering device into the forming bag via the upper opening. The metering device needs to be purchased additionally.
Usually, a multi-head scale is used for granular materials, an auger weigher is used for powder materials, and a metering pump is selected for liquid materials.
- Bag Sealing
After the material filling is completed, the horizontal sealing jaws will seal the upper part of the forming bag and also form the bottom seal of the next bag.
Vertical packaging machines generally have two cutting methods, namely, mark cutting and fixed-length cutting. The two cutting methods are easy to switch, and cutting method option depends on the packaging film.
The packaging film is either with a photo eye mark or not. The packaging film without a photo eye mark is cut to a fixed length; otherwise, it is cut by detecting photo eye mark.
In most VFFS machines, the vertical sealing bar and horizontal sealing jaws consist of a nichrome wire, the wire has an intermittent current flow through it, it heats the sealing bar and jaws to the proper temperature.
It is necessary to carefully adjust this temperature, as well as the dwell time, to provide enough heat at the ideal temperature to melt the plastic without overheating.
This is to avoid overheating causing the film to wrinkle or even burn through.
Horizontal FFS Machine
The following picture is a schematic diagram of a horizontal form fill seal machine.
- Product Feeding Conveyor
- Transmission System
- Packaging Material Rollstock
- Vertical Sealing Device
- Horizontal Sealing and Cutting Device
- Pressing Brush
- Control Console
- Output Device
In order to explain the process of the horizontal form fill seal machine more intuitively, please check the following picture first:
- Rolled Film
- Guide Roller
- NIP Roller
- Vertical Sealing Roller
- Horizontal Sealing and Cutting Device
The workflow of the horizontal form fill seal machine is:
The roll film 1 is folded into a pillow shape by the former 3 through the guide roller 2, and is clamped by the NIP roller 5 and fed to the right;
At the same time, the vertical sealing roller 6 seals the longitudinal seam;
Product 4 is pushed into the pillow-shaped bag by the push plate on the conveyor belt, and is transferred to the right;
Finally, the sealing and cutting process is completed by the horizontal sealing and cutting device 7, and the pillow-shaped packaging bag as shown in the figure below is obtained.
FFS Liquid Filling Machine
The FFS liquid filling machine is controlled by the PLC program, and the whole process of bag making, material weighing & filling, bag sealing, batch number & date printing, tear notch adding, bag cutting off, and bag counting can be completed automatically.
The packaging and sealing form can be customized into three-side sealing, four-side sealing, pillow-shaped sealing, etc.
Such machine has the following features:
- Beautiful bag shape;
- Convenient adjustment of bag size, packaging weight, and sealing and cutting temperature;
- Direct heat sealing and cutting;
- Fast packaging speed;
- High weighing accuracy;
- No sealing pollution;
- Prevent material leakage.
You can also choose devices such as vacuuming and punching. For materials that are easy to solidify, a constant temperature insulation system can be selected.
The FFS liquid filling machine has a wide range of applications, mainly used for packaging various seasonings, oils, beverages and other liquid materials in the food & condiment industry, including:
Food seasoning, jam, honey, shampoo, hot pot ingredients, bean paste, chili sauce, beef sauce, etc.
Soy sauce, edible vinegar, milk, cooking wine, liquor, sterilized beverages, fruit juice, milk, yogurt, soy milk, etc.
Referring to the picture below, you can clearly understand the process flow of the liquid FFS machine.
The liquid material is injected into the aging tank (including an automatic stirring device, which can be heated and kept warm).
The rotor pump automatically pumps the liquid material to the high-level mixing tank (controlled by the material level of the mixing tank).
The liquid filling machine can automatically make and form bags (optional accessories such as punching, gusset, vacuuming, etc.), automatically measure and fill according to the set weight, and complete automatic sealing and cutting, weight dosing is realized by measuring cup or metering pump.
The packaged bag comes out from the liquid filling machine, the checkweigher automatically detects its weight (optional equipment).
The qualified bag is finally transported to the manual packing station by the outfeed conveyor.
FFS Powder Packing
Powder packaging is generally completed on a vertical packaging machine. The FFS powder packing machine and the auger weigher can automatically complete all processes such as bag making, powder weighing, powder filling, bag sealing, and bag cutting.
The amount of powder is mostly measured by the volume method, and some models are also equipped with a reliable photoelectric detection system. When using packaging materials printed with photoelectric marks, a complete trademark pattern can be obtained.
The powder packaging machine is suitable for small bag packaging of medicine, food, chemical industry, pesticide, etc. It is suitable for the production of powder drugs, sugar, coffee, fruit, tea, monosodium glutamate, salt, seeds, desiccant, milk powder, starch, pesticides, veterinary drugs, premixes, additives, condiments, feeds, enzymes, etc.
The automatic FFS powder packing machine directly sends the powder materials into the auger weigher through the screw elevator, and completes the automatic measurement, filling, automatic packaging and sealing, and finished product delivery according to the set weight.
The SiroSilo FFS powder packing machine has won the favor of many customers around the world with the following properties.
- Auger filler completes metering, filling, etc., suitable for powder materials;
- The servo drive system, high precision, and stable performance;
- The stainless steel material tank is easy to clean, equipped with safety protection, and meets the requirements of enterprise safety management;
- Intelligent & accurate temperature control, and the sealing is beautiful and smooth.
- PLC control double-pull or single-pull film feeding system, motor-driven deviation correction of sealing and cutting position, large display touch screen, which maximizes the control accuracy, reliability, and intelligence;
- This machine and metering equipment can automatically complete the whole packaging process of metering, feeding, filling bag making, gas flush (vacuuming), date printing, bag counting;
- Perfect automatic alarm function to minimize loss and help to troubleshoot in time;
- The styles of packaging are diversified, such as back seal, gusset, even bag, punching, and so on.
Automatic FFS Machine
The automatic FFS machine is one of the film bag-making and packaging machines. It is often used for automatic quantitative packaging of irregular bulk products such as granules, powders, liquids, pastes, soups, and sauces.
Both bag making and packaging are realized synchronously during the machine operation, the material falls vertically along the filling tube into the cylindrical bag, and then is sealed to complete the independent packaging of the product in one-stop, which has strong applicability, good durability, and wide application.
There are mainly the following types of automatic FFS machines:
- Liquid Filling Sealing Machine
The metering pump is used for automatic quantitative packaging, and the liquid material is fed directly from the tank through the conduit into the packaging bag.
The material does not contact the packaging equipment during the entire filling process, and the cleanliness and hygiene are high. The precision is high and the speed is fast, which can meet the automatic quantitative filling of various fluid products.
- FFS Powder Packing Machine
Using special high-precision auger weigher, volumetric scale is conducive to material filling and rapid metering, often used for automatic packaging of non-viscous and easy-flowing powder products.
FFS powder packing machine needs to be combined with an automatic feeding machine, powder metering machine, discharging conveyors, and other devices to form an automatic packaging line.
The FFS powder packing machine can meet the general packaging of products with similar characteristics, and realize the purpose of one machine for multiple purposes.
- Granule Filling Machine
According to the material characteristics, packaging accuracy, and speed requirements, volumetric measuring cups, linear scales, and combination scales can be used for weighing, which can realize both compact packaging of small vertical packaging machines and automatic weighing of large granule packaging machines.
Heavy packaging is also suitable for solid particle bars, flakes, and spherical special-shaped materials.
The automatic FFS machine has won the global clients’ favor due to the following attractive features.
- The whole machine is controlled by a microcomputer program, and the touch screen displays the operation in Chinese and English. The working process can be seen in real-time, which is intuitive, simple, and easy to maintain.
- Small footprint, high space utilization, easy placement and layout, realizing the optimal combination of upstream and downstream production lines, and equipment that conforms to Industry 4.0 standards.
- It can work independently without a lot of supporting equipment, and it can be equipped with an air compressor and power supply according to the model to meet the equipment operation.
- It is easy to clean and sterilize, and the contact parts between the automatic FFS machine and the material are all made of high-quality 304 food-grade stainless steel, which fully guarantees product safety.
- The unique sealing bar is combined with a special temperature control system to ensure that the product is firmly sealed and well sealed, which is beneficial to the circulation and storage of the product.
- The film-pulling drive system and plc program control system can ensure high productivity under various materials and specifications. Small vertical packaging machine has a variety of bag styles, such as three-side sealing, four-side sealing, back sealing, chained bag, punching, and other styles.
Rotary FFS Machine
The rotary FFS machine is mainly composed of a coding machine, PLC control system, bag opening guide device, a vibration device, dust removal device, solenoid valve, temperature controller, vacuum generator or vacuum pump, frequency converter, and output system.
The optional configurations are material measuring and filling machine, working platform, checkweigher, material elevator, vibrating feeder, finished product conveyor, and metal detector.
The range of bag materials is extremely wide, including paper-plastic composite materials, plastic-plastic composite materials, aluminum-plastic composite materials, PE composite materials, etc., and the loss of packaging materials is low.
Because the premade bags are used, the bag pattern is perfect, and the sealing quality is good, thus improving the product grade;
It can also be used for multiple purposes in one machine, and only need to match different measuring devices according to different materials, it can achieve granule, powder, block, liquid, soft cans, toys, hardware, and other products fully automatic packaging.
Detergent, wine, soy sauce, vinegar, juice, beverage, ketchup, jam, chili sauce, bean paste.
Peanuts, jujubes, potato chips, rice noodles, nuts, candy, chewing gum, pistachios, melon seeds, nuts, pet food, etc.
Condiments, additives, crystalline seeds, seeds, granulated sugar, soft white sugar, chicken essence, grains, agricultural products.
Flour, seasoning, milk powder, glucose, chemical seasoning, pesticide, fertilizer.
The rotary FFS machine has the characteristics of fast packaging speed and a good packaging effect. It is suitable for standard stand-up pouches, and can also be adapted to the zipper and special-shaped mask bags through customized transformation. It is a right-hand man for large-scale, high-speed packaging.
The rotary FSS machine mainly includes the following working steps:
- Pick-up Doypack
The machine picks up a doypack to the gripper, if the photoelectric eye detects no pouch, the machine sounds an alarm.
In this way, it effectively reduces the labor intensity;
- Print Date Code
Ribbon detection, if the ribbon runs out, alarm pops up on the touch screen, ensure the normal date coding;
- Open Pouch
Open the pouch to detect, if the bag is not open, the machine doesn’t fill material, avoids wasting material;
- Fill Material
Inspect first, if no material, no filling, and no sealing, avoids wasting bag;
- Heat Sealing
Alarm for the abnormal temperature to ensure sealing quality;
- Cooling, Shaping & Discharging
Ensure that the seal is beautiful.
The rotary FSS machine replaces manual packaging and realizes packaging automation for large enterprises and small and medium-sized enterprises.
The operator only needs to put the pre-made bags one by one, and place hundreds of bags at the bag magazine of the equipment at one time, and the mechanical grip will automatically take the bags, print the date, open the bags, send the signal to the measuring device and drop it, then seal the pouch and output the packaged pouch.
Customers can also add custom functions such as emergency stop against door opening, automatic card insertion, abnormal discharge, and others according to packaging requirements.
The whole process of packaging doesn’t require manual operations, which effectively improves production efficiency for your company, saves labor costs and management costs, and greatly reduces costs.
The following outstanding features of the rotary FSS machine have attracted many customers to contact SiroSilo for product information and quotations.
- PLC control, equipped with touch screen HMI interface, easy to operate.
- Frequency conversion speed regulation, and the speed can be adjusted at will within the specified range.
- Automatic detection function, if the bag is not opened or the bag is incomplete, no material is added, no heat sealing, the bag can be reused, no material is wasted, and the production cost is saved for the user.
- Safety device, when the working air pressure is abnormal or the heating tube fails, it will alarm.
- With the horizontal bag feeding method, the bag storage device can store more bags, which has lower requirements on the quality of the bags, and the rate of bag separation and bag loading is high.
- The adjustment of the bag width is controlled by motor. Press and hold the control button to adjust the width of each group of clamps at the same time, which is easy to operate and saves time.
- Some imported engineering plastic bearings are used, no need to refuel and reduce the pollution to materials.
- Adopt oil-free vacuum pump to avoid pollution of production environment.
- The zipper bag opening mechanism is specially designed for the characteristics of the zipper bag mouth to avoid deformation or damage of the bag mouth.
- The loss of packaging materials is low. The machine uses premade bags with perfect packaging bag patterns and good sealing quality, thus improving the product quality.
- In line with the hygiene standards of the food processing industry, the parts on the machine that are in contact with materials or packaging bags are processed with stainless steel or other materials that meet food hygiene requirements to ensure food hygiene and safety.
- Wide range of packaging. By choosing different measuring instruments, it can be applied to the packaging of liquid, sauce, granule, powder, irregular block and other materials.
- The packaging bag is suitable for a wide range of applications. It can be applied to prefabricated bags and paper bags made of multi-layer composite films, silica, aluminum foil, single-layer PE, PP and other materials.
Form Fill Seal Machines Manufacturers
According to the search results of Google Adwords, the following manufacturers of FFS machines are the most common.
- TNA vffs
- Viking/Viking Masek
Without a doubt, these producers are the top players in this niche. If you want to customize the highest-end, best-performing form-fill-seal machine, they are the best choice.
We SiroSilo Industrial is also one of the professional form fill seal machine manufacturers in China, with our own R&D team and factory, we are capable of supplying high-quality form fill seal machines at a competitive price.
Please contact us to get a quote for comparison: email@example.com.
Form Fill Seal Machine Price
Form fill seal machines are usually customized according to the actual packaging requirements of customers, and the prices of customized machines vary greatly, so it is difficult to give a specific price range.
In addition, the price of form fill seal machine is related to many factors, mainly including:
- FFS machine type (horizontal or vertical)
- Type of product packaged (powder, liquid, paste or paste, granules)
- Bag type (three-side seal, four-side seal, gusset)
- Bag size
- Premade pouches or not
When you determine your requirements for the above factors, ask the FFS machine supplier to provide a reasonable quotation according to your requirements.
I found some information about the price of the FFS machine from the Internet, and the price information is shown in the following four pictures. You can use the prices in these four pictures as a reference.
The FFS machine manufacturer in the 1st pictures is from Europe, and the FFS machine manufacturer in the 2nd picture is from China.
SiroSilo could also supply the following products: